There are several return of CIKU board from customers, claiming the bootloader is corrupted. We have spotted a reason where user want to create their own project instead of using provided CIKU project. Unfortunately, they have overwrite CIKU bootloader inside PIC18F4550 and this cause CIKU can’t be detected when trying to enter bootloader mode. Today I would like to share how to create a proper MPLAX X new project from scratch for CIKU, with the hope this help to minimize the possible corrupted bootloader.
1. Open MPLAB X and click on File > New Project…
2. Under Projects: select Standalone Project, click Next.
3. Select PIC18F4550 for Device, click Next.
4. Select PICkit2 for Hardware Tools, click Next.
5. Select XC8 compiler under Compiler Toolchains, click Next.
6. Write your Project Name and click Finish. You should get something like this.
7. Do you notice the arrow? Click that icon. If you don’t see the Dashboard window, click Window > Dashboard to open it.
8. Go to XC8 linker, select Runtime under Option categories, check box on Format hex file for download and uncheck box on Program the device with default config words.
9. Go to Additional options, set the Codeoffset to 0x1000. This is super important that I need to double highlight it!
10. Done, click Apply. Now it is up to you whether to use CIKU library or to create on your own. Good luck!
I hope this help and if you still have problem with CIKU, please do not hesitate to post in our technical forum 🙂