Interested to build your own Internet-of-Things (IoT) project? Now, it’s the right time to do it. ESPert is an platform that allow anyone to develop their own IoT connected solutions easily and affordably.
By using ESPresso Lite V2.0, you can create any project of IoT that you want. It uses the ESP8266 chipset as the main micro-controller and supports the Arduino environment. Beginners with no experience in software programming or electronics can start building their objects by just connect them together.
In this tutorial, we will use MaxSonar Ultrasonic Range Finder as our sensor. Having a ultrasonic range finder can be very useful in many different projects. It works better outdoors then the IR sensor. It basically sends a high frequency wave in one direction, the wave hits a object that reflects the wave. When the wave gets back to the sensor, it calculates the distance depending on the time it takes to go and back.
This is a connection for ESPresso for this project.
Step by Step (Hardware)
3. For this tutorial, we will using ESPert IoT Mobile App on our smartphone. To use this application, we need to have an account at ESPert.io.
4. If you still doesn’t have a account, you need to create it by register your email address.
5. After finish the registration, you can start login to the server.
6. Next, we need to install ESPert IoT Mobile app to our smartphone.
7. Login the account that you already create in ESPert.io and the screen will appear like below after you success to login it.
8. Then, on ESPert.io web, click Smartphone column. Your email will display on web screen.
9. To send a message to your smartphone using this website, click icon
10. You can send any message from this web and your phone will get notification about that message from the app.
For example, I just send a message “Hello World” and my smartphone will receive a notification like below.
Step by Step (Software)
For this tutorial, I will apply this project to my dustbin. I will get the notification when my dustbin is full.
1. Open the source code. Copy the code into the software Arduino IDE.
2. From the code, you need to replace the smartphone key.
3. You will get your smartphone key at ESPert.io website. It will appear at the URL when we want sending a message to our smartphone.
4. Next, choose the correct board and port for your ESPresso Lite and upload the code.
5. To see the range of Ultrasonic sensor, open serial monitor. Set the baud rate to 115200.
From that, you can adjust the limit for the sensor. Default limit is 35.
6. Led will on when the sensor detect the limit of dustbin in five time continuously. It is for avoid the wrong information when the sensor suddenly detect unwanted object.
7. When led on, Oled Screen will display the message to the user. At the same time, our smartphone will get the notification from ESPert IoT Mobile App.
8. Done. Now, you can place the hardware at your dustbin and test the functionality of this application.
Okay, that’s all. If you have any question, feel free to ask in our technical forum as we seldom check the tutorial’s comment section. Thank you.
3. Distance Detection with Maxsonar Ultrasonic Range Finder by Bruce Allen from http://playground.arduino.cc/